Andover Golf Club has been in existence for over a hundred years, originally formed way back in 1907 by just a handful of friends.
Since then the club has grown considerably, both in membership numbers but also in what it has to offer. Some of the views from the top of the course are as good as anywhere in the area, and on a clear day stood on the 9th tee it’s possible to see well beyond the boundaries of Andover and into the fields & countryside beyond.
The course itself is chalk based, so has excellent natural drainage whilst still retaining the soft fairways that golfers of all standards appreciate. The greens are very well maintained and the course has just about the right amount of hazards and obstacles to make it a challenge for the lower handicap golfer, but without seeming to be too difficult and so can still be enjoyed by the higher handicapper or social golfer.
The club was formed at a public meeting in March 1907 at the Andover Guardian. The number of initial members was just 56.
The old rifle range on, what is now, Winchester Road, together with an adjoining field, was refurbished and grass, suitable for a nine-hole golf course. It is believed the design was laid out and constructed under the watchful eye of Mr Bob Munro, who at the time was the professional of Royal Wimbledon Golf Club.
Early members were well known in the district and made up mainly of doctors, professional people and military officers. The original 1907 membership book lists the most honourable, The Marquis of Winchester as the president, with Captain W.V. Faber as the Vice President.
The club’s first professional was J.G. Stuart, and the first clubhouse was in a nearby cottage made available by a club member, Mr W.B. Withers. The initial joining fee was one guinea (£1.05p in today’s money). Annual membership was £1, 11 shillings and 6d (£1.57p).